somethings from codeland

Monday, October 13, 2008

GPS data from a blackberry

I want to find a way to access GPS Data on a blackberry. I have a couple of ideas for mobile apps that I would like to tie into some of Google's data services. I know that there's a huge push in the newly sprung location based marketing area, but I would like to tie this into a couple of applications I plan on getting started on once my Christmas ...hrmm I mean Winter holiday... break allows for some more coding time.

Ideally for testing it would be nice to access a stream of GPS data over the USB cable so that I don't get charged for Data transmission on the device. I'm sure Sprint already wants to charge me an arm and a leg if I browse the web anymore than I already do on my Blackberry Pearl...

I found a couple of open source applications that to learn from. http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/51-updated-open-source-blackberry-apps-develop-your-own.html

Blackberry has a nice JDE eclipse plugin to develop with. So I grabbed that along with the Full JDE to make sure that I had all the source code that TonyB recommended in his answer to my StackOverflow question.


In other news I found some interesting stuff for porting J2ME apps to other platforms using alcheMo. So far it looks like it supports BREW, iPhone, and Windows Mobile. Sounds interesting enough, but I couldn't find anything to download and play with. Hopefully there's more news of this to come in the future...

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive