somethings from codeland

Monday, January 19, 2009

vista accessing remote shares

I worked on a Vista machine today that was not able to access remote shares, and so couldn't map network drives, etc. It was able to get online, rdp to the server, and perform other network based tasks.

When trying to map the drive out over the command line, an error 67 would return. When trying to access the share from Windows Explorer, I would get an unspecified error number. (probably would have been nicer to receive an error that a service responsible for this functionality was not accessible.

What ended up being the problem was that the Computer Browser Windows service was not able to start because it depends on the Workstation Windows service that for some reason had been disabled.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive