somethings from codeland

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

expanding a vmware virtual disc

I'm going to attempt to expand the virtual disc size of a development virtual machine I use for some installers I've written. I found a gui VMDiskSize but in the notes it states I cannot resize a disc of a virtual machine that has snapshots.

For development purposes, I have various snapshots saved before and after I've made changes here or there. The snapshot manager could probably use some cleanup but its not on my priority list if I can get around having to mess with it right now.

I found a whitepaper on Using VMware Virtual Disk Manager. As always I've created a backup of the vm (which turned out to be a rather large 7-zip file) before attempting to modify anything that could render my development environment "un-bootable". (Yeah I talked to Webster and he said it was cool to make up words for blogs that no one reads)

Here's the actual documentation for the command line tool vmware-vdiskmanager

So the final command I had to run was:
vmware-vdiskmanager -x 60GB {path_to_vdisk}
(since all I needed was another 10GB on top of the already existing 50GB of storage there)

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive