somethings from codeland

Friday, January 02, 2009

Browser wars round X???

Not sure how many times we've been through this now, but the browser wars are heating up again. Google is leading the charge this time with its popular Gmail service dropping support for IE 6 and recommending users make the switch over to Firefox or Google's Chrome browser.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10130301-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

It looks like IE is starting to lose its grasp on the browser dominance battle front. According to Net Applications (someone I've never heard of but seems to be entertaining a large audience) Firefox is gaining well over 20% of the market, while IE has dropped to under 70% market share. While IE is still ahead by a large gap, it has taken serious damage from what used to be a very commanding 95% browser market share dominance.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/firefox_tops_20_in_november_ie_under_70.php

One way or the other it's not looking good for Microsoft. They've lost a lot of brand reputation with Vista, and Apple seems to be sweeping everyone up that's looking for something newer than XP. (not that I don't love my XP machines out there)

Since I've made the switch to my MacBook Pro a couple of months ago, I've since learned to work in different, sometimes more efficient, ways. Getting used to working with something new has opened my eyes to working with Linux a little more for desktop purposes. (that along with the rise in Linux based netbooks that I'm sure to run into support issues for in the near future).

In short, IE isn't the only browser to satisfy anymore and I share in the agony with all those web developers tasked with supporting complex cross-browser compatible designs... Even with all of this, 2009 should prove to be an interesting year with the tech industry twisted, turned, and wrung out to get every last drop of innovation into users' hands.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive