somethings from codeland

Thursday, January 01, 2009

living life and getting things done

Today was an interesting kind of day. For starters, I woke up late as all get-out, then I helped the pops put in some new supports in the shed so they could store more crap. I actually really liked the whole manual labor thing. It was a really nice change from the normal all day on the laptop. I've needed to do something with my hands for a long time. Sometimes I feel like being on a computer all the time doesn't lead anywhere and in the end I'm just wasting time and burning daylight. Doing that and having finished it sparked something in me. I was able to start and finish something that someone could use and benefit from, even if it wasn't that big a project... It was a really great feeling doing something out of the norm and benefiting from the experience.

So after the minor carpentry project, we went and ate some mediocre chinese and went to go see Yes Man with Jim Carrey. First I want to say it was a really good movie. Not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it was a movie about experiencing new things outside of the comfort zone and going out to get life instead of living in a little box. Cruising the information super highway (member those dial-up commercials?) and being the internet bum I sometimes am, doesn't fair well with getting out there and living life.

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm no fan of new years resolutions, but if there's something that has to change its going to be that I'm going to do more living. Programming, well working all the time, just makes feel like I'm constricted to places where I can plug my laptop in.

I love helping people. That's for sure, but I want to be able to meet more people and do more. Maybe I need to move to a bigger city and just start diving into new things. I'm more of a west coast kinda guy. Let the looking begin...

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive