somethings from codeland

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Me, the new Mac kinda guy...

I purchased a MacBook Pro (no not one of the newest ones, but rather an older model) Although it might have been nicer to save up a little longer and get the latest and greatest from Apple, I decided that I would not fall subject to the group-think that is "get the newest one"...

I can say that I'm happy with what I've got. It might not have the newest gpu from NVidia, but it does have a 512mb video card anyways (which is the best card I've ever had in a laptop to date). Seeing how this new machine will be primarily used for development purposes it might still be a little bit overkill...

Now onto my thoughts of switching. So far all of my applications that I've used to develop on Windows either already offered Mac versions or were easily replaced by other Mac software (all of it open source up to this point. Hoping to keep it this way...)

I've already got vmware fusion 2.0 installed with windows xp. Suppose I could have ran Vista, but I know that XP takes up less resources and this is still a laptop...

The best thing about this laptop is what I initially feared the most: the deviant one button trackpad. I absolutely love the way this thing works. Scrolling is simply amazing and I find myself not even wanting to use a regular mouse because I cannot use the scroll on the trackpad as easily.

Another thing that I find myself thinking about, is that I have been waiting for something bad to happen, as though I was answering to a heavy backend windows kernel or something. I really like the way that this whole OSX feels like I'm making it do what I want instead of bending to the will of the machine. (it could also have something to do with the difference in the way the main menu bar is translated to whatever the current application running needs...)

Not everything turned out as great as I had expected it to. I was extremely disappointed that my new MacBook Pro is having issues displaying a proper picture on my 24" Samsung SyncMaster 245BW monitor. Not sure exactly what the issue is; the only thing I found in a quick google search was that SyncResX was a possible solution (this was courtesy of youtube, and like many, I'm not very fond of any user submitted "knowledge" gained there)

I might try the mighty mouse to see if its something I would like to work with more. (I was just so extremely impressed with the scrolling of the trackpad, I don't think I would feel right missing out on that feature by going back to a regular mouse)

So there you have it: my very short, humble opinion of my first day's encounter with my MacBook Pro.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive