somethings from codeland

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Graphics and Linux

http://highend3d.com/

This has to be one of the coolest looking sites that I have found in quite some time. They promote 3D graphics and animation.

Something definately worth considering looking into. Slashdot has an article titled Disney, DreamWorks, Pixar Go Linux. Supposedly Linux is the best platform for higher end graphic design, most likely because of the lack of memory issues that windows seems to be plagued with.

Linux is looking sweeter and sweeter. If you are not a gamer then I suggest looking into Fedora Core 4 with KDE 3.5. Not only is it a cleaner/smoother interface but it will probably make you more productive in the end.

KDE is very similiar to the windows graphical user interface (GUI). However I prefer Gnome, because of its simplicity. It supports everything that I work with: mainly Firefox, abc torrent client, ssh command shell (for server configurations). Other than that I do have a little Dell Inspiron 700m that does run windows xp. Reason being that most of the clients I work with are on windows environments (making it easier to operate in a Microsoft Shop). I do have VMWare running a fedora core installation, which I do use to test the sites and database applications that I design. I would like to look further into some other distrobutions of linux however: namely Gentoo, Debian, and Solaris.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

About Me

My photo
I have been working with computers/programming to put myself through college since I graduated high school. I am currently attending Oklahoma State University for bachelors degree in biological sciences. Along with my experience in programming, a degree in biology will allow me to pursue a career in bioinformatics research concerning genetic diseases (i.e. cancer).

Blog Archive